Fulfilling your prescription ... for life!
Send us an email at doctor.nello@gmail.com.
An album to remember.
Please submit by 04/25/1985 on triple-sided Alligator Imitation Paper.

These Dreams

DeaR DoK:

Lately I've had some strange dreams, and these, surprisingly, are not linked to my Vicodin addiction. One dream in particular had me yelling at my mother over a money dispute.

I had Dream Mom pick up smoke detectors following a dream fire in my dream basement. Dream Mom asked me to pay her back, but her list of debts inlcuded art supplies, insulin syringes and furniture she bought for her own house.

This ridiculousness set me off on an obscenity-laced tirade, where I not only got her to cry, but my father and wimpy brother as well. Nurse Chris showed up and and wept shimself.

When I awoke, I was proud of myself for boldly taking a stand against my tyrannical family. Moments later, I lost that feeling, because I fell back asleep.

How should I feel about this dream? While it felt good to fantasize about four-letter word flip-outs, I ... probably shouldn't?

-- *!@#-Dreamer

Dear Dr. Eamer:

No need to feel shame or remorse at all! That's the beauty of dreams: in addition to flying, dreams allow us to vent our frutrations at our family and friends over both real-world and dream-world issues. I encourage you to not only embrace these nocturnal vulgarity visions, but increase their frequency.


It's pretty simple to do. Dreams are our brains replaying memories from our subconcious, combined with alien transmissions and whatever happened in the plot of Inception (I still haven't seen it).

Because the only part of dreams we can control is our memories, we need to influence them. Write down a list of all the bad words you know and leave the notepad on your nightstand. Even if this doesn't influence your dreams, it will expand your vocabulary. As you lie in bed, think about the people who are causing you grief in the real world, like your mother, frenemies, coworkers or Sims character.

Wear headphones and listen to Heart's "These Dreams" (so you dream), Cee-Lo's "Forget You" (a censored song about swearing), and LaRoux's "Bulletproof" (one of those weird electropop songs that will ensure your dream is vivid). You'll feel such relief when you express your grief in your dream, peppered with profanity.

It's interesting that Nurse Chris would show up in your dream -- perhaps he has entered another dimension? He is still legally missing, and it's worrying me, because I'm afraid I won't be getting back that $20 he owes me.

-- Dr. N
| | Monday, November 01, 2010
|


3 comments:

laura said...

Real men don't swear.

Jessica said...

"peppered with profanity" is wonderful alliteration! (apparently neither Tara F, nor I married a real man according to Laura)

I've traveled the world and the seven seas in my mind said...

This is amazing. I was just going to write to you (although I thought you were dead after that foot incident and the fire engines and ambulance thing) and ask about dreams.
I had one where once again I was whipping my children with a belt. That part always makes me happy. Then I started to cry because I realized that I was not dead but defrauded by my own child. He had imposed upon my good nature once again and lured me to his house to care for him and his cats and his deformed foot.
In the dream he had borrowed a lot of money he never repaid, became a wealthy business man forgetting who made him into success story, and he even had me bring him chairs to match his dining room set and wouldn't let me sit on them after my foot surgery so I could rest after putting out the fire in his spacement. There's much more, but I'm hoping this is enough for your brilliant analytical mind to be able to advise me.
If you need the rest of the story send a stamped self addressed envolope to your mother and she'll give you the full dream.