Fulfilling your prescription ... for life!
Send us an email at doctor.nello@gmail.com.
An album to remember.
Please submit by 04/25/1985 on triple-sided Alligator Imitation Paper.

Anonymous Commenter

Dr. Nello:

I have a pretty popular blog, but there's one fan I could do without. This particular reader sometimes uses an alias, but often just signs as "anonymous." I understand that it's slightly more effort to have to type in your name rather than just clicking the "anonymous" option, but this fan has a Blogger account (meaning it's just as simple to sign in with her real name). At first I thought she was signing anonymously because she didn't feel like signing in, but I've heard that she truly believes she's tricking me into thinking it's some other reader. She knows I don't think she's clever (especially compared to my profound cleverness), so she thinks by pretending to be someone else, I'll see the wit in her posts. As Shakespeare says, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, and a post by anonymous is still stupid." What can I do to stop her from posting anonymously?

-- A. Nonny, Mass.

Dear A. Nonny:

You could simply turn off anonymous commenting, but this wouldn't send the full message. What you need to do is blog about this exact issue: write an article on why she's sooooo annoying when she pretends to be someone else. Remind her that she is not clever AT ALL. When she makes herself laugh (because she is easily amused) she is the only one laughing. Don't forget to explicitly say that you are not joking and are extremely serious. I doubt she'll want to keep anonyposting after that.

-- Dr. N
| | Wednesday, August 01, 2007
|


20 comments:

Anonymous said...

To whom are you referring?

Anonymous said...

Your advice was crap.

Anonymous said...

This would only work with a dim wit and I hazzard that anonymous is very clever indeed!

Anonymous said...

With this rediculous piece of advice, you have confirmed that you are not real doctor.

Anonymous said...

Has it occurred to you that anonymous might just not want you to know who it is for your own good?

Anonymous said...

Oh the cleverness of me!

Anonymous said...

Why do you presume that it has all been from the same source?

Anonymous said...

Don't you have some intrastructures to check and shouldn't be wasting your time trying to identify anonymous commenters?

Anonymous said...

If you don't want anonymous comments, then why do have a anonymous identity available?

Anonymous said...

I was going to leave you with 20 or more clever comments, but I do have intrastructures to check, or laundry to fold. If you antagonize me again, I will find you...and clog your blogosphere.

Anonymous said...

Who am I?

Anonymous said...

This did make me laugh and I am not easily amused.

Anonymous said...

Why do you think your site is popular? If it were not for the anonymous comments, you would have very few comments indeed.

Anonymous said...

Do you know that AA stands for Anonymouses Anonymous.

Vincent said...

Disable anonymous commenting now

Anonymous said...

So sorry my mother is doing this to you poor blogers! I'm actually bringing her to therapy right now. You all think it's annoying reading her comments all the time, try living with her! Once again, I'm so sorry. –Someone

Anonymous said...

clearly the second post was an attempt to be me. but, seriously- what's the big problem with being anonymous? I can just as easily make it any other name. Anonymous is just easier - less typing.
~A

Dr Nello said...

It's not the anonymity that's the problem, it's that a certain individual often pretends to be someone else when it's blatantly obvious who she is.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Nello, your site is officially under attack. What are you going to do? And I agree with -A -

Anonymous said...

MOM! STOP POSTING SO MANY COMMENTS!